When the Jeffersonian team discovers remains of a victim, and elements of the crime scene point to a possible protégé of serial killer Christopher Pelant, they must revisit their prior work on Pelant while tracing new clues that will hopefully lead them to the copycat killer. Meanwhile, Angela is skeptical about her and Hodgins decision to move to Paris and Brennan and Booth contemplate options outside of the Jeffersonian and FBI.
- Temperance Brennan - Emily Deschanel
- Seeley Booth - David Boreanaz
- Jack Hodgins - T.J Thyne
- Angela Montenegro - Michaela Conlin
- Camille Saroyan - Tamara Taylor
- James Aubrey- John Boyd
Intern of the WeekEdit
- Eugene Byrd as Clark Edison
- Michael Grant Terry as Wendell Bray
- Carla Gallo as Daisy Wick
- Pej Vahdat as Arastoo Vaziri
- Patricia Belcher as Caroline Julian
- Andrew Leeds as Christopher Pelant
- Lindsey Kraft as Leelah Strawn
- Derek Mio as Owen Ellickson
- Jaimyon Parker as Duncan Klee
- Blaine Holtkamp as Jeffersonian Tech
- Tug Coker as Kevin Dunlop
- Into the Mystic by Van Morrison
- "The Next in the Last" Was originally called "The End in the End"
- This episode was written to serve as either a season finale or possibly a series finale, because Bones wasn’t guaranteed a renewal and didn’t receive its official renewal until after this episode aired.
- Brennan: Pelant is in the past. I won't have him steal the new life Booth and I are going to live.
- Angela: [Looking at Clark doing facial reconstruction] If this is somehow related to Pelant...
Clark: [Angela takes it over from him] Thank you.
Angela: Honestly, I can't bear to see something done this badly
Clark: I'm insulted and yet grateful
- Camille Saroyan: Dr. Hodgins! What are you doing?
Jack Hodgins: [Next to a giant machine] Hey! I borrowed this puppy from the Manhattan project exhibit.
Angela: Eh, Hodgins, please tell me you're not building a bomb
- Brennan: You could take the job at the NSA and I could take over the department at Fulton. They'd give me unlimited funds.
Booth: Or we could just have a baby and live our lives and be happy.
Brennan: That sounds so good. But I don't want you to do anything that you don't...
Booth: No, I want to, I do.
- Seeley Booth: If someone's coming after me and my family, I'm the guy who's gonna take him out
- Dr. Brennan: [At the crime scene, looking at the victim] The removal of the skin, the placement of the body. This is precise work!
Camille: Almost as good as my work. Almost.
- Booth:[after making an arrest with a fight] What part of "FBI" did you not understand?