A wannabe musician is found in a grassy location. The investigation leads Brennan, Booth, and Cam to the restaurant where Tommy used to sing and where several suspects who took part in the open mike contest are, including a woman who was obsessed with Tommy and turns her affections towards Booth after learning of Tommy's death. Also, something horrible happens during the investigation which shocks the Jeffersonian team.
- Seeley Booth - David Boreanaz
- Temperance Brennan - Emily Deschanel
- Angela Montenegro - Michaela Conlin
- Zack Addy - Eric Millegan
- Camille Saroyan - Tamara Taylor
- Jack Hodgins - T.J Thyne
- Lance Sweets - John Francis Daley
- Pam Nunan - Jennifer Hasty
- Adam Matthews - Corbin Allred
- Tommy Sour - Ace Young
- Jerry Lincoln - Ethan Phillips
- Chris Calabasa - Ian Reed Kesler
- Dr. Jason Bergman - Kent Faulcon
- Mitchell - Joshua Weinstein
- Dax - Geoff Meed
- Helen - Christina Ulloa
- Emma von Helberg - Jessa French
- Piano Man - Glenn Rosenblum
- Broadway Wanna-Be - Brandon Rogers
- Lounge Lizard Wanna-Be - Andy Striker
- Kanye West Wanna-Be - Dennis Waller
- Dolly Parton Wanna-Be - Laura Grady
- Springsteen Wanna-Be - E.J. Curse
- Trainer - Jonathan Kowalsky
- Broadway musical "Pippin" - Corner of the Sky (sung by Brandon Rogers)
- Britney Spears - I'm a Slave 4 U (sung at the bar, Emma von Helberg)
- Dolly Parton - Nine To Five (sung by Laura Grady)
- Frank Sinatra - The Second Time Around (sung at the bar)
- Leslie Bricusse - Talk to the Animals (sung at the bar)
- Nickelback - Far Away (sung by Ace Young at the bar)
- Billy Joel - Piano Man (sung by Ian Reed Kesler at the bar)
- Paul Francis Webster and Sammy Fain - Love is a Many-Splendored Thing (Sung by Eric Millegan at the lab)
- Cyndi Lauper - Girls Just Want to Have Fun (Sung by Emily Deschanel at the bar)
- Guest stars Ace Young (Tommy Sour) and Brandon Rogers (Broadway Wanna-Be) were both contestants on FOX's American Idol on season 5 and season 6, respectively.
- In this episode, Zack sings extremely well. In real life, Eric Millegan, who plays Zack, studied musical theatre at the University of Michigan, where he graduated with a bachelors degree in Fine Arts.
- Brennan mentions that she can sing "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" better than Cyndi Lauper. Interestingly, Lauper later appears on the show as Avalon Harmonia, and eventually sings at Brennan's wedding.
- Booth laments that "everybody wants to be the next Kelly Clarkson", Bones asks "Who is Kelly Clarkson?"
- Bones also does not understand Sweets' reference to Chumbawamba and their song Tubthumping.
- Brennan: You enjoy it because you're a superb agent.
Booth: You think?
Brennan: Of course, since I'm the best in my field. It would be self-destructive for me to work with some who was beneath me.
Booth: Okay, that's good, because I have to be honest, here. Sometimes I think you feel you're better than me.
Brennan: Well objectively, I'm more intelligent-.
Booth: See? There you go!
Brennan: In certain areas. And in others, I understand my limitations, and I admire your expertise.
- Brennan: [after Booth knocks on a door] Hey, break down the door.
Booth: It hurts my shoulder when I break down the door.
- Zack Addy: My regimine is usually completed in my apartment: treadmill for 30 minutes, 100 sit up, push up and leg lifts and 20 minutes of free weights. I'm deceptively strong.
Cam: I'm deceived.
- Brennan: I can't just bust into song. I have to have music. And an appropriate atmosphere of frivolity.
Booth: Diva! Forensic genius. Best selling author. Better that Cyndi Lauper?
- Booth: [after Bones arrives at the bar] Finally! One more show tune and I was going to start shooting!
- Brennan: Until I was 13, I wanted to be the next Cyndi Lauper.
Booth: I'd say you were kidding. But I don't think you know how to kid
- Sweets: You have an irrational prejudice against psychology. Probably because of some emotions so complicated for you to deal with. [starts playfully poking Bones] And I poked and prodded them which makes them real and painful.
Brennan: And yet I feel no pain. Just a sort of disinterest. So why don't you take your powers of observation and focus them on her?
- Brennan: How does a former sniper have a grass allergy? I mean wouldn't a sneeze give away your position?
Booth: Bones, okay. I worked in the desert. Sand. No grass.
- Booth: So presumably he was killed, decapitated, and mulched. Wow. Can it get any worse for this guy?
- Brennan: [Sweets is trying to convince Bones to get up and sing] Really? What about you?
Sweets: Hey, I will be singing "Lime in the Coconut" after you, and you will be extremely impressed... as was my abnormal psychology class in college. This opportunity is a gift from.... Agent Booth. Trust yourself, trust your friends, and let 'er rip!
The Verdict in the Story
The Pain in the Heart
|Episodes: Season 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · 10 · 11 · 12|
Characters: Season 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · 10 · 11 · 12
Categories: Main Characters · Relationships